Monday, February 25, 2008

Fate

I believe in fate.
Not in the simple "it doesn't matter what you do, it's all determined by fate" kind of way - I believe that if you are good to the world, the world will be good to you.

2 Months ago someone broke into my apartment in Tel Aviv. Of everything me and my roommate have in our place (and we have a lot), the robber "only" took my laptop, and my 2000$ in cash I had in my closet drawer (I am now an expert and can tell you that if you have any cash in your home - put it somewhere in your kitchen).

2 Days later I got a call from the foreign ministry in Jerusalem saying that they just changed their tax procedures for all their world-wide consulates. I was informed I am retroactively entitled for tax refund... of 2000$.

These kind of things happened to me all my life.

3 Years ago I followed my heart half the globe from India to Utah. I was in the middle of my 9 months life long planned journey in India as I canceled everything to go tell a girl I met few months before that I love her. I also decided not to tell her I am coming and just knock on her door and surprise her.

Although I didn't know what to expect, I didn't expect she will ask me to leave after 4 days.

Then, when I went to New York to get on a flight back to Israel, I was contacted by a friend at the Israeli Consulate in Manhattan asking if I am still in India. She said that if not, they want me to come and be their webmaster.

I had to agree. It was as if fate was shouting to me "you did the right thing coming here". 3 Months later I met the most beautiful girl on earth in a books booth at a Christmas fair. I fell in love as never before.

Fate.

Today I was very sad. As I was staring at the laptop screen, tears in my eyes, I felt I have to find a way to check what my fate is trying to tell me.

I went to wikipedia, and clicked on the "Random Article" button.
This is what came up.
Things will get better. I just need to keep be good to the world.

And wait a month.




"Falling Slowly" (by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova), the freshly Oscar winning song from the movie "Once", fits perfectly at this moment. This version is the cute original video clip, and the the lyrics are below it. The strong Oscar night performance can be seen here.

UPDATE: The next day I went to see "Once". Here is what I think of it.





I don't know you
But I want you
All the more for that
Words fall through me
And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Falling slowly, eyes that know me
And I can't go back
Moods that take me and erase me
And I'm painted black
You have suffered enough
And warred with yourself
It's time that you won

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you had a choice
You've made it now
Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along

No comments:

Post a Comment